Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar eclipse 2017 casts shadow across the United States

Well, today was the big day we in North America have been anticipating for some time now. The news has been making this a very big and historic event. Though it's been some time since the last time this type of eclipse happened, I wasn't very impressed.

Then again maybe I either missed it, or wasn't in the best location to have seen this? I live in the Midwest, just outside of Chicago. And while this eclipse was said to travel (or be seen) in Illinois, I personally didn't see anything. Yet it was a strange 'mixed day.' Here where I live it was cloudy and almost 'eerie' for most of the morning. I'm about 30 minutes NW outside of Chicago.

Then as the day progressed, the eeriness, and never mind some of the 'dooms-day' hype, it felt eerie. But after the gloominess left, the sun was shining brightly in the sky, just as always. Just as any other day in fact. I can imagine how many disappointed people there were at least in my area who bought those special 'sun glasses,' which I understand became hard to come by, and probably pricey too.

But, I suppose for those lucky enough to have witnessed this, the biggest part was,
The last coast-to-coast total eclipse occurred in 1918 and the US mainland hasn’t seen a total solar eclipse since 1979, when it reached just five states.
My understanding is the next time they'll be another eclipse similar to this one will be in 2024. And for the record, Central and South America was to probably a much lesser extent supposed to have been able to have witnessed today's event as well. All in all, I think this was 'over-hyped' personally. But, maybe for some it was an awesome event? All depends on what you're into.

What will remain with me the most was the 'eerie' early part of the day. I mean I could literally feel 'something' in the air. Then again, I tend to be more 'sensitive' in a spiritual way to things.

No comments:

Post a Comment