Thursday, September 7, 2017

Best Place to Donate for Victims of Hurricane Harvey, and More

Due to several reports I've come across and read about how some of these 'non-profit organizations' have taken advantage, and in some cases flat out misused the hard-earned money people are freely giving out of their care and concerns, I've decided to look into this matter personally.

As someone who personally wants to help out victims of the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey, especially to the good people of the State of Texas, I have been looking at donating money myself. And I sure don't want to donate only to find out later that my money went towards something it wasn't intended for, I have come across what seems to be the best place to donate to.

And from all the research I have done, I would seem as though the Red Cross would most likely be the most trustworthy place to send your money too. Having said that, just recently I noticed NPR did a hit-piece against the Red Cross. But consider the source. And it's not as though I have a problem with NPR, but they do have somewhat of a history of steering people in the wrong direction. So, as for their attack on the Red Cross, I would take that with a grain of salt. Again, nothing against NPR, it's like anything else. They've done good reporting, 9/11 immediately comes to mind, but there's always some who just aren't pleased with anything.

...and as the saying goes, you can't please all the people, all of the time.To be honest, if you really want, anyone can find 'something' wrong with anything. While people are in need and suffering, this just isn't the time to do nothing, or over analyze. Victims need relief- now.

So having said this, I've linked to several websites here on one page, for people to check out the Red Cross for themselves. While this is not a personal endorsement for the Red Cross, its a useful gage to decide for yourself whether this organization is the right one for you.


*Direct link to Red Cross for donations

*See whee your donations are going to

*NYT piece on the Red Cross

While I was writing this, I thought to myself, if I'm going to have links for people to go to from one site, I may as well add another 'option,' but one that is also considered a good option. Again, this isn't an endorsement for any particular donation organization. This is simply about providing links on one page of two of the best possible organizations available for people to make donations to.

I'd also like to note, be careful about the 'links' themselves. Not the links I'm providing, lol, but the actual link (URLs) that you see on the search window, prior to hitting the send button for any organization! I have heard about URLs (links) that 'appear' to be authentic, but may be just a letter off of what the authentic site should be. Of course if it's legitimate, you ought to see the 'secure site' to the left of the search window where the link is displayed. Just a word of caution. Unfortunately there are people out there who will do anything to make a buck, even if it means taking money from a 'victim fund.' So be careful!

* Samaritan's Purse (specifically for Hurricane Harvey) After having investigated this organization- for myself (just as with Red Cross, Samaritan's Purse had gotten some bad publicity some time back), but again, take it for what its worth. Having personally checked into this organization, they appear as legitimate as the Red Cross.

And of course there are others, but I couldn't in all fairness suggest them to anyone, unless I had researched them for myself. Like many out there, it turns my stomach to learn about any organization 'scamming' the very people they are supposed to be helping, and I hope such persons are found, charged and sentenced appropriately.

One last thing I'd like to say is, as 'divided' as this country has become in recent years in particular, one thing is very true when it comes to the American spirit, when there is a disaster, it does seem to bring out the best in people. And that is something to be 'proud about' as a nation. Unfortunately, it often takes a disaster for people to 'unite,' but when we're united, no situation, or incident can keep us down.

No comments:

Post a Comment