Monday, August 17, 2015

'Commending Ourselves' Based on 2 Corinthians 10:17-18

I read today's daily 'verse' as is my custom on a daily basis. Those of you who follow me on Twitter know that I do my best to 'share' these scriptures on a daily basis as the Bible is our guide and 'measuring rod,' ie 'compass,' by which we are to find guide our 'ships' (so to speak) through the waves of the sea of life.

As I read today's scripture this verse just stuck out at me, and I felt compelled to write about it. You can say this was a prompting by the Holy Spirit, to put it in a more contextual manner. Having said that, here is the verse this this post is based upon;

The apostle Paul states in 2 Corinthians 10:17-18 (KJV);

"But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth."

In our 'post-modern secular world' many are teaching how we are to think 'highly or ourselves,' (give credit to ourselves). We're told to give ourselves a big pat on the back and give ourselves 'praise.' This type of thinking is prevalent in psychology, and even churches who borrow from psychology. You may well remember the old skits on Saturday Night Live about standing in front of a mirror and telling yourself, "I'm good enough, and I'm worth it."

Though this type of thinking may sound appealing to those in the secular world, as Christians, this type of thinking is 'contrary' to the nature and will of God! One can easily become 'prideful,' which can spill out into other sins, some which may be even worse. The bible tells us, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).

Thus, we are far from being 'good enough' in the eyes of God. However, if you are a 'born again' Believer, living for Christ (not for self) when God looks upon us, he sees not us, but he sees his Son, Jesus Christ. Thus, we are declared 'innocent' of sin, and have already been pardoned of our sins- all of them; 'past, present and future.'

There is no better feeling to know we are 'faultless' in the eyes of God. For we are NOT to 'measure' ourselves (successes, achievement, etc). We are to measure ourselves not even against others. We are only to measure ourselves against the Word of God, and God's perfect Son Jesus Christ! May sound like a 'tall' order, but as the bible says, "for there is now therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ! Romans 8:1.

I write this post to show as an example how differently our 'worldviews' truly are for those who call themselves Christians, versus those who do not. Do not misunderstand though. We are all in different places in our walk through life. There was once a time where all I cared about was 'me, myself and I.' There were times that I compared myself against others (usually those who had more, did more), talk about a great way to make yourself feel inferior.

Now, I can safely state that I do not worry, hence compare myself against the 'secular ideology' of secularized man-made psychology, nor against others. Christ is all that matters. And if you are concerned about your self-esteem (as the world would refer to it), take a good look at yourself, and be honest. Are you happy? Do you know where you would go should (God forbid) today was your last day on this earth? When you look at things through a Christian perspective, your eyes are truly opened, and you will see the world through a different manner.

If God, the Creator of this world looks at you approvingly; who are you to look at yourself as anything less? God bless you and make the most of this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment